“There r 3 kinds of students in engineering...Some make wonders happen..! Some see wonders happen..! Others wonder what happened!! ” (a facebook status)
It is important to reduce the third type of engineers from the system. For achieving this system must be focused in imbibing the professional ethics and skills in the students. I am not going discuss nitty-gritty of ethics here. I have discussed the transitions and the associated values are implied and one is free to associate the ethical value with it, though i have given my implication associated with each transition. Before going further let me clarify one most important thing, you should learn to say No based on situation, remember saying no does not always mean saying never, no may also mean not right now. you are in the academy to be an engineer and hence you decisions should be always be integral with this fact.
I have discussed the expected transition from a teenager to a complete employable person with the engineering skills. These 12 transitions are the must have characteristics for an engineer. These are progressive steps and will take its natural time to incorporate in yourself, you should be always honest with yourself to install these skills in your personality. Remember, ‘Creating plan with cautious mind and executing it with full zest that is what defines the true engineering spirit’.
|1||Individual based||To||Team based|
|2||Self planned||To||Project planned|
|3||Last minute preparation||To||Day to day work discipline|
|4||Answer to available and known||To||Solution not known|
|5||Remember the answer||To||Arrive at an answer|
|6||Marks based||To||Productivity based|
|7||Evaluated by someone else||To||Start with self evaluation|
|8||Deadlines not all that tough||To||Very strict dead lines|
|9||Canteen behavior||To||Corporate etiquette|
|10||Home to college||To||Alone and corporate|
|11||Prescribed syllabus||To||Each day’s activity is unique|
|12||Understanding theory||To||Activity based learning|
these transitions are given by wipro CEO in FICCI summit on 2007 on Indian higher education.
The transitions indicated in italic face, need proper guidance so students should seek advice from either their teachers (class teacher) or responsible senior student.
Although most of points here are self explanatory, still I have given my interpretation about some of the activities. with each of the transition you will learn some values, these values will play crucial role in your entire life.
- Individual based To Team based: Changing the mindset of the student from individual level thinking to team based. The team here is what is created while doing the project. The teacher can take help of the friendship relations of students to begin with. Emphasis should be given on coordination and cooperation of activities. value: your decision should be integral to the situation.
- Self planned to project plan: unfortunately very few students have self planed approach and rest carry out their activities in ad-hoc way. During the first lecture of the subject, the subject teacher should discuss the entire syllabus of the subject and should brief the student as how to progress with the subject. Completing syllabus in a semester is equivalent to a project with term end being deal line of the project. value: planning optimizes resources.
- Last minute preparation to day to day discipline: here aim of this step should be to reduce the cramming strategies adopted by the students. Most of the time basic rationale behind cramming is weak basic concepts of students. Such students hardly realize this and keep the cramming strategies since it helps them to get good marks in exams. The class teacher should guide students on planning for subject; he should try to bring in notice the weakness of the students regarding basic concepts by conducting an open Q n A sessions. He should also explain need of these concepts in higher semester and disadvantages of cramming via last minute preparation. value: disciplined activites, reducation in risk.
- Answer to available and known to solution not known: this transition will be developed slowly with help of the other transitions in the above mention list. Expectation in this transition is that the student should be skillful in analysis skills to derive a conclusion based on his previous knowledge and observation. value: spirit of inquiry and reform
- Remember the answer to arrive at an answer: same as transition and logic behind 4th transition. (Analysis skills). value: development of your analysis and synthesis skills
- Marks based to productivity based: in this transition all teachers, administration and students association should try to move student’s emphasis from ‘study to clear the exams to study to learn the subject’. If philosophy of a particular subject is understood by the student then any subject becomes interesting. Philosophy of a subject means the answer for basic questions like what is need to study the subject, how the subject is solving human problems, relation with the real life field. value: focus on reality than the inception. (as a student your job,duty is to collect knowledge, marks will follow your knowledge)
- Evaluated by someone else to start with self-evaluation: learning to become self critic, this is crucial aspect of both academics and life. This helps in burring most bitter aspect of human life, ego. If analysis skills are properly developed in the individual with the ethical values, this transition can be achieved. This is the beginning of the self actualization process. value:become your critic, buries ego.
- Deadlines not all that tough to Very strict dead lines: In corporate life time is equivalent to money. So a little late to any project causes loss. To get adapted to this corporate etiquette college life offers a good opportunity, you can improve your performance at college itself by following deadlines of assignments, tests properly that’s it. You will never feel burdened by these activities and you will also realize importance of caring out these activities.value: discipline.
- Canteen behavior to corporate etiquette: canteen behavior is what students normally prefer to do during college hours. Chaos and fun. Yes you are youth and you deserve to have fun as per your wish. But you should never forget that you are in college to get knowledge to sharpen your intelligence. So you should follow a simple rule, fun during fun time and duty i.e. studies during study hours. During college hour you should follow the etiquette of the college. value: discipline, responsibility.
- Home to college to Alone and corporate: although sounds boring and actually alone it is not like that alone stands for any assigned job to you, you are the responsible person so learn to accept this responsibility and prove yourself. value: responsible behavior.
- Prescribed syllabus to Each day’s activity is unique: it is worth notice that you are a student so your prime duty is to study as per syllabus. Now while studding your imagination about technology should not be bounded to the textbook, you should explore the possibilities as per your imagination. That is what each days different activity, where you think something innovative, check the idea based on the thing that you know, ask your teachers for validation etc. your capacity to imagine will increase only if you keep challenging it. value: you became fearless and always stay ready for new challenges.
- Understanding theory to Activity based learning: this is most crucial transition and this is only transition that should be followed in same order for each semester. Understanding the theory during lectures and practical experience based on various activities either through teachers instructions or via students association. value: ability to solve practical problems based on theoretical knowledge.
one most important instruction: technology can become addiction also, so don’t get dragged by the fascinating world of technology. just stick to your syllabus and learn the facts around your syllabus only. remember you are in the academy to become engineer. the technology is just additive agent to sharpen your engineering skills so you should use it in that regard only.
As noted by administrative thinker Chris agryris, “few abilities are inherited. The majority of the more important abilities are learned and developed in interaction with others. This is especially true for such abilities as leadership”.
The technology is something that youth cannot leave without and likes to see and be with it when it changes. The education system needs to take note of it. Information technology engineering and computer engineering has got certain advantage it is very easy to experience what is taught in the lectures, transition from theory to practical; it is just matter of computer, software and internet, and the student is ready to experience hands on the technology.
so the youth should be open to the limitless world of web, a world based on democracy and freedom. place where rules are created to express innovation, a world based on freedom and not fear. you just have to imagine!!!
in next article Open source : true essence of Freedom i am going to introduce you with the limitless world open source and how to make boring textbook interesting, how to learn concepts of technology seamlessly. in the forthcoming article i will be discussing how to use technology to enhance your engineering skills and make most of from the information technology world.